CR 369: Old Man Embraces Cloud¶
- Air Date: 2019-08-05
- Duration: 49 mins 7 secs
About this episode¶
Chris finally gets excited about Docker just as Wes tells him it’s time to learn something new.
- Feedback: good mic for voice recording? — I'm looking for a good mic for voice recording since I will be a guest on a podcast soon. Since you sound good in your shows, can you share what mics you are using?
- Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone: Musical Instruments — Side-address condenser microphone with USB output for easy connection to your computer.
- Google and Mozilla are failing to support browser extension developers · Armin Sebastian — We are witnessing the failure of browser vendors to recognize the value of our labor and the important role it plays in a healthy browser ecosystem.
- Half of all Google Chrome extensions have fewer than 16 installs — All in all, about 50% of all Chrome extensions have fewer than 16 installs, meaning that half of the Chrome extension ecosystem is actually more of a ghost town, according to a recent scan of the entire Chrome Web Store conducted by Extension Monitor.
- All the best engineering advice I stole from non-technical people — As I focus on becoming a better manager of engineers, I have been reflecting more and more on the advice that produced a 10X boost in my abilities at that same stage. More often than not the best advice, the things that stuck with me, came from people who had no background at all in software.
- Overview of Docker Compose | Docker Documentation — Compose is a tool for defining and running multi-container Docker applications. With Compose, you use a YAML file to configure your application’s services. Then, with a single command, you create and start all the services from your configuration.
- Podman — What is Podman? Podman is a daemonless container engine for developing, managing, and running OCI Containers on your Linux System. Containers can either be run as root or in rootless mode. Simply put:
- Buildah — A tool that facilitates building OCI container images.
- skopeo — skopeo is a command line utility that performs various operations on container images and image repositories.
- From 30 to 230 docker containers per host — I could not find much information on the interwebs how many containers you can run per host. So here are mine and the issues we ran into along the way.
advice, audio, audio technica, aws, browser extension, browser extension development, buildah, cgroups, chrome, cloud, coder radio, containers, developer podcast, docker, docker-compose, education, firefox, jack, jupiter broadcasting, learning new things, linux audio, microphone, namespaces, new technology, podman, red hat, scaling containers, security, staying fresh, sustainable development, tools, virtual machines, wisdom