LAN 159: Linux Action News 159¶
- Air Date: 2020-10-18
- Duration: 39 mins 4 secs
About this episode¶
The new Plasma release makes a compelling argument for the workstation, why LibreOffice and OpenOffice can't seem to get along and a recently found bug in Linux that goes back to Kernel 2.6.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- System76: System76 is better than ever, check out all the great stuff they're doing today and tell them Linux Action News sent you.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Plasma 5.20: One absolutely massive release — A massive release, containing improvements to dozens of components, widgets, and the desktop behavior in general.
- KDE Plasma 5.20 is Here – And It's an Epic Update
- LibreOffice rains on OpenOffice's 20th anniversary parade — To mark the 20th anniversary of Apache OpenOffice, the project's main rival, LibreOffice, published a letter asking OpenOffice to tell its users to switch
- Google and Intel warn of high-severity Bluetooth security bug in Linux — The flaw resides in BlueZ, the software stack that by default implements all Bluetooth core protocols and layers for Linux. Besides Linux laptops, it's used in many consumer or industrial Internet-of-things devices. It works with Linux versions 2.4.6 and later.
- Intel Blows the Coms Again
- Greg K-H on Twitter — "They are now claiming you need a 5.10 kernel or newer to solve this. 5.10 will be released at the end of December 2020. Intel knows better, and knows how to do this properly, this feels malicious at this point..."
- CUPS Printing System Open-Source Development Has Seemingly Dried Up — The open-source CUPS code-base is now at a stand-still. There was just one commit to the CUPS Git repository for all of 2020.
- Has Apple abandoned CUPS?
- LPC 2020 - Open Printing MC - YouTube
- OpenPrinting News - September 2020
- Antennapod 2.0 Released — AntennaPod version 2 released with a range of new features, bug fixes and improvements. Below you’ll find an extensive list of highlights, with each time the Pull Request ID.
- AntennaPod - Apps on Google Play
- AntennaPod | F-Droid
apache openoffice, atennapod, bluetooth, bluez, cups, document foundation open letter, dual license, exfat, intel, jupiter broadcasting, kernel 5.10, libreoffice, linux action show, linux news podcast, microsoft, oin, open invention network, plasma 5.20, wayland