LUP 405: Distro in the Rough¶
- Air Date: 2021-05-11
- Duration: 57 mins 12 secs
About this episode¶
We’re taking a look at an underdog distro. We may have found a diamond in the rough with a few tricks up its filesystem.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- MailRoute: Try out MailRoute today and get 10% off the lifetime of your account and start with a 30-day free trial, no credit card required.
- A Cloud Guru: By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.
- Sensory’s custom voice assistant debuts on a Linux-based microwave — Sensory announced that its 100 percent locally processed TrulyHandsfree technology can be used to create custom voice assistants without sacrificing privacy, as demonstrated in a new Linux-based Farberware FM11VABK microwave.
- Ask LUP Anything - AskLUP.COM
- ODROID-GO Super
- ODROID-GO Super Dim Gray
- EmulationStation — A graphical and themeable emulator front-end that allows you to access all your favorite games in one place, even without a keyboard!
- ODROID Image for ES
- SegaCD missing BIOS (linked) - ODROID
- JB Telegram
- Jupiter Broadcasting Garage Sale
- Open Letter: DistroWatch and Nitrux — For the better part of three years, we have remained silent about your ongoing efforts to affect people’s perception of our Linux distribution continuously. We have tried our best not to engage with your evident hostility and disregard to inform your viewers and visitors about correct facts of the Linux distributions you display on your website, especially ours. However, we have decided to take a stance. It is today, the 6th of May, that we gallantly demand you to stop.
- Uri's Blog: Unpopular Opinion Penguin #3: The Empire Strikes Back — I’m here to take a look at the newest “review” that our lovely haters (let’s call them for what they are) at DistroWatch published on their website some weeks ago.
- DistroWatch.com: Nitrux
- Nitrux — Nitrux is a Linux desktop distribution directly based on Debian. It uses the Calamares installer and includes NX Desktop and NX Firewall on top of the KDE Plasma 5 desktop environment and MauiKit Applications.
- Meet Nitrux: The Most Beautiful Linux Distribution Ever?
- Nitrux on Twitter
- MauiKit — A free and modular front-end framework for developing fast and compelling user experiences.
- Kirigami UI Framework — Build beautiful, convergent apps that run on phones, TVs and everything in between.
- Changelog: Nitrux 1.4.0
- NX Desktop — NX Desktop is a customization layer for Plasma 5.
- AppImageHub — Here are 1200 apps (and counting) that you can run on Linux without installation.
- Installing other DEs in Nitrux — During last month’s release of Nitrux, we made available a minimal ISO to let users install Nitrux and also install a different desktop environment and a selection of applications than the ones we include by default.
- NX Software Center — A GUI to install and manage AppImages.
- Nitrux: pnx — pnx (lowercase; originally Pacman for Nitrux) allows users to install software from Linux distributions that use the Pacman package manager on other Linux distributions that don’t use it without interfering with the distributions default package manager.
- What’s Nitrux? The future. - with Uri Herrera
- Linux Spotlight - Uri Herrera of NitruxOS
- Feedback: PrivateBin — A minimalist, open-source online pastebin where the server has zero knowledge of pasted data. Data is encrypted/decrypted in the browser using 256 bits AES.
- PrivateBin Docker Setup
- Feedback: PIE Bin — Pre-Internet Encryption for Text.
- Feedback: CryptPad — CryptPad is the Zero-Knowledge real-time collaborative editor.
- CryptPad Installation Guide — This guide is about installing a public CryptPad instance available on the internet.
- Pick: TLP — Optimize Linux Laptop Battery Life.
- Pick: TLPUI — A GTK user interface for TLP written in Python.
- Fedora — TLP 1.3.1 documentation
ai, ansible, appimage, appimagehub, arm, asus, battery health, cryptpad, debian, design, desktop applications, distrowatch, emulationstation, emulators, fedora, gist, huawei, independent distro, index, jupiter broadcasting, kde, kirigami, lenovo, linux 5.10, linux apps, linux gaming, linux podcast, lithium-ion battery, mali, maui, mauikit, mobile gaming, neon, network engineering, nintendo switch, nitrux, nx desktop, nx firewall, odroid-go super, openrc, pastebin, piebin, plasma, pre-internet encryption for text, privacy, privatebin, qt, retro gaming, rockchip, roms, samba, segacd, self-hosted, selfhosting, sensory, slexy, smb, ssh, station, theme, thinkpad, tlp, tlpui, ubuntu 18.04, uri herrera, video games, voice assistant, x1 carbon