LUP 486: Goodbye, Google¶
- Air Date: 2022-11-27
- Duration: 94 mins 15 secs
About this episode¶
Chris ditches the iPhone and switches to GrapheneOS, a security and privacy-focused project that lets you take control back from Google.
- Tailscale: Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- Bitwarden: Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.
- Computer Chronicles - Intel 486 — In 1992, the big issue was - is it worth the money to upgrade my 386 PC to the new 486 chip? This program looks at the performance of the new Intel 486 and helps users decide.
- GrapheneOS — The private and secure mobile operating system with Android app compatibility. Developed as a non-profit open source project.
- GrapheneOS: Supported Phones
- GrapheneOS: Features Overview
- Sandboxed Google Play overview for GrapheneOS
- Lockscreen bypass fixed in November’s update - discovered by GrapheneOS in June
- GrapheneOS on Twitter — We independently discovered the Android lockscreen bypass fixed in Android's November security update while working on features like a duress PIN/password.
- A week with GrapheneOS exposed my over-reliance on Google
- GrapheneOS Initial Impressions
- Banking Applications Compatibility with GrapheneOS
- HERE WeGo — Maps & Navigation
- Fountain on Twitter — More sats = higher signal⚡️📡
- Hot on Fountain
- DAVx⁵ — CalDAV, CardDAV and WebDAV for Android
- Bitwarden: Top 10 Burning Questions on 2FA
- n.eko — A self hosted virtual browser that runs in docker and uses WebRTC.
- Install NVIDIA Drivers on Debian 11
- deemix — deemix is a barebone deezer downloader library built from the ashes of Deezloader Remix.
- nostr — The simplest open protocol that is able to create a censorship-resistant global "social" network once and for all.
- Pick: Upscaler — Upscale and enhance images.
- Frog by Tender Owl
- Frog on Flathub
- A Science Project — “Make the 486 Great Again!”
- Linus Torvalds bids 486 Linux adieu — It's been fun, but Linus Torvalds thinks it's time for 486 Linux to leave computers behind and go to museums.
android, android alternative, android auto, aosp, app sandbox, apple, caldav, carddav, computer chronicles, davx5, debian, deebian, degoogle, devone, firefox, flatpak, frog, geocache, gif, gnome, google play, grapheneos, image restoration, image upscaling, intel 486, ios, iphone, jnome, jupiter broadcasting, kde, linux podcast, linux unplugged, maps, mobile, n.eko, newpipe, nextcloud, nostr, nvidia, opensuse, photo sync, pixel, pixel 7 pro, pixel buds, plasma, play services, privacy, security, tailscale, tender owl, text extraction, tumbleweed, tuxedo computers, tuxedo os, upscaler, webdav, x86