LAN 078: Linux Action News 78¶
- Air Date: 2018-11-04
- Duration: 25 mins 28 secs
About this episode¶
The new Fedora has a neat trick, The Register's KDE klickbait, and GhostBSD impresses.
- Fedora 29 released — This release is particularly exciting because it’s the first to include the Fedora Modularity feature across all our different variants. Modularity lets us ship different versions of packages on the same Fedora base. This means you no longer need to make your whole OS upgrade decisions based on individual package versions.
- RHEL 7.6 released
- The Register RHEL klickbait — KDE Plasma Workspaces (KDE), which has been provided as an alternative to the default GNOME desktop environment has been deprecated. A future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux will no longer support using KDE instead of the default GNOME desktop environment.
- Jonathan Riddell explains things — It is a pity that RHEL users won’t be there to enjoy it by default. But, then again, they never really were. KDE is collaborative, open, privacy aware and with a vast scope of interesting projects after 22 years we continue to push the boundaries of what is possible and fun.
- Sailfish 3 released — I’m happy to share with you that we have today released the first Sailfish 3 software release, and made it available for all Sailfish users who have opted-in for the early access updates.
- GhostBSD 18.10 released — GhostBSD 18.10 is our first official release of GhostBSD with TrueOS under the hood, and the official desktop is MATE
- Endless OS shipping on (more) Asus hardware soon — Kids get their own laptop great for school projects and a safe, virus-resistant space to explore, tinker and learn. Parents, prepare to reclaim your computers!
- System76 release new desktop machines — Thelio, Thelio Major, Thelio Massive, and Thelio Io are OSHWA certified open source hardware. Licensed under GPL v3 and CC-BY-SA, everyone can learn from what we've created, adapt it, improve it, and make derivative works inspired by the Thelio design.
desktop linux, dnf, endless os, fedora 29, ghostbsd, ibm, jonathan riddell, kde plasma, linux news podcast, red hat, rhel 7.6, sailfish os 3, software modularity, system76m thelio