LAN 155: Linux Action News 155¶
- Air Date: 2020-09-20
- Duration: 33 mins 48 secs
About this episode¶
We try out the new GNOME "Orbis" release and chat about Microsoft's new Linux kernel patches that make it clear Windows 10 is on the path to a hybrid Windows/Linux system.
- Introducing GNOME 3.38: “Orbis” — GNOME 3.38 is the latest version of GNOME 3, and is the result of 6 months’ hard work by the GNOME community. It contains major new features, as well as many smaller improvements and bug fixes. In total, the release incorporates 27896 changes, made by approximately 901 contributors.
- LINUX Unplugged 370: PipeWire Progress
- New GNOME versioning scheme — The next version of GNOME, due to be released in March 2021, will be GNOME 40.
- GNOME Extensions Rebooted Initiative — Extensions Rebooted is a collaborative effort to address the issues around the GNOME Shell extension ecosystem.
- Wiki · extensions-rebooted · GitLab
- What is LaCrOS for Chromebooks and why does it matter? — Google is decoupling the Chrome browser from Chrome OS on Chromebooks. And it’s using Linux to do this.
- Update on Firefox Send and Firefox Notes — today we are announcing the end of life for two legacy services that grew out of the Firefox Test Pilot program: Firefox Send and Firefox Notes.
- Firefox for Android LAN-Based Intent Triggering — The SSDP engine in Firefox for Android (68.11.0 and below) can be tricked into triggering Android intent URIs with zero user interaction. This attack can be leveraged by attackers on the same WiFi network and manifests as applications on the target device suddenly launching, without the users' permission, and conducting activities allowed by the intent.
- Mozilla rolls out Firefox 81 on Android
- Microsoft submits Linux kernel patches for a 'complete virtualization stack' with Linux and Hyper-V — Linux on Azure might no longer need Windows
- All Jupiter Broadcasting Shows
android intent uris, azure, chris moberly, chrome os, chromebooks, cloud hypervisor, extensions rebooted initiative, firefox mobile, firefox notes, firefox send, gnome 3.38, gnome 40, gnome versioning scheme, hyper-v, jupiter broadcasting, kvm, lacros, linux action news, microsoft, orbis, pipewire, root partition, ssdp engine, tracker, wayland, weekly linux news podcast, xen