CR 457: Rich Clownshow Services¶
- Air Date: 2022-03-16
- Duration: 57 mins 44 secs
About this episode¶
Our take on big tech's return to office, AT&T's RCS boondoggle, and the concerning territory tech is racing towards.
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/coder
- Datadog: Try Datadog free by starting a your 14-day trial and receive a free t-shirt once you install the agent.
- remembertoremember on Twitter — @ChrisLAS you sounded afraid to use the term lifestyle business. Why let this be a bad word. I maintain that these are just businesses. It’s the hyper scalers struggling to pay back huge returns to vcs. That are doing something weird. Does scale really deliver value to customers?
- New Podcast Apps that Support Boosts
- Jupiter Broadcasting East Coast Meetup — Let's hang out at the park across the street from Prime BBQ.
- Google tells employees to return to offices in April — Google told employees on Wednesday that it expects them to begin returning to physical offices April 4.
- The next chapter of our hybrid workplace: update on our Washington state work sites - The Official Microsoft Blog — Our Washington state work sites will move to our sixth and final stage of the hybrid workplace model, effective Feb. 28, 2022. From this date, employees will have 30 days to make adjustments to their routines and adopt the working preferences they’ve agreed upon with their managers.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook tells employees the return to offices will begin on April 11th — The company plans a hybrid work approach, which it expects to begin in full on May 23rd
- Former Xamarin co-founder Miguel de Icaza is leaving Microsoft — Former Xamarin cofounder Miguel de Icaza is leaving Microsoft, the company he joined through acquisition just over six years ago.
- AT&T RCS is taking over Google's, and people are mad — AT&T has apparently rolled its own RCS system into Messages. The AT&T RCS protocol has appeared on at least some carrier-branded Galaxy S22 devices. According to these two threads, the carrier-branded system prevents RCS communication with people who aren’t on AT&T and/or aren’t using a Galaxy S22 device.
- Firefox removed Yandex search option (and used misleading bug name to hide) — Ensure consistency among search configuration for Firefox
accessibility, android, apple, at&t, coder radio, coding, development podcast, firefox removed yandex, github, google, lifestyle business, mail.ru, microsoft, miguel de icaza, nat friedman, proton, rcs, return to office mandates, update distribution config, wine, xamarin