LAN 233: Linux Action News 233¶
- Air Date: 2022-03-23
- Duration: 18 mins 43 secs
About this episode¶
A significant follow-up to one of the biggest Linux stories, the Pandora's box the MIT Technology Review claims open-source devs just opened, and Linux on the M1 finally ships.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Documentation/process: Add Researcher Guidelines — This document seeks to clarify what the Linux kernel community considers acceptable and non-acceptable practices when conducting such research. At the very least, such research and related activities should follow standard research ethics rules.
- Guidelines for research on the kernel community [LWN.net]
- Activists are targeting Russians with open-source "protestware" — At least one open-source software project has had malicious code added which aimed to wipe computers located in Russia and Belarus.
- Activists are targeting Russians with open-source "protestware"
- SiFive bags $175m to further challenge Arm with RISC-V — The Silicon Valley-based chip designer said Wednesday it had raised a $175m Series F financing round at a more than $2.5bn valuation
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Will Default To Wayland With NVIDIA — Ubuntu 22.04 LTS will now default to using the GNOME Wayland session when running the NVIDIA proprietary driver.
- The first Asahi Linux Alpha Release is here! — We’re really excited to finally take this step and start bringing Linux on Apple Silicon to everyone. This is only the beginning, and things will move even more quickly going forward!
- Hector Martin on Twitter — We've been getting a steady trickle of users with the installation failing because the APFS resizer does a fsck and finds corruption. This confirms my personal experience that Apple's APFS code is just buggy... it seems a lot of people have latent filesystem corruption :(
- Apple M1 Performance On Linux: Benchmarks Better Than Expected For Its Alpha State — I eagerly loaded up Asahi Linux on an M1-powered Apple Mac Mini knowing the various early limitations of the Linux kernel support that is still settling. Overall the Apple M1 Linux performance ended up exceeding my expectations for the performance in its early alpha state.
- Jupiter Broadcasting East Coast Meetup — Let's hang out at the park across the street from Prime BBQ.
- Howto Install NixOS on Apple Silicon Macs
5.18, apfs resizer, asahi alpha, color.js, corruption, faker.js, gbm, generic buffer manager, hypocrite commits, kernel research, linux action news, linux kernel, linux news podcast, m1, m1 performance on linux, mit, ngo, node.ipc, pandora's box, protestware, risc-v, russian ip, series f, sifive, technical advisory board, ubuntu 22.04, ukraine, umn, university of minnesota, upstream, wayland on nvidia