LAN 290: Linux Action News 290¶
- Air Date: 2023-04-27
- Duration: 12 mins 15 secs
About this episode¶
What we know about the Red Hat layoffs, highlights of Linux 6.3, and Canonical's bold claim in Ubuntu 23.04.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Kolide: Kolide can help you nail third-party audits and internal compliance goals with endpoint security for your entire fleet.
- Red Hat Cutting “Hundreds Of Jobs” — The tech layoffs have now reached Red Hat with "hundreds of jobs" being cut and the initial round of layoffs being announced today.
- Message to Red Hat associates today
- IBM announces layoffs at Red Hat — "Our reductions will focus on general and administrative (G&A) and similar roles across all functions and represent a reduction of just under four percent in total," he said. "We will not reduce roles directly selling to customers or building our products."
- Linux Kernel 6.3 Officially Released — Introduces a new Intel VPU DRM accelerated driver, BIG TCP support for IPv4, and native Steam Deck controller support.
- Btrfs Receives A Very Important Last Minute Fix For Linux 6.3 — Ahead of the Linux 6.3 kernel being potentially released as stable on Sunday, two last-minute patches for the Btrfs file-system driver were submitted
- Linux 6.3 Released With More Meteor Lake Enablement — Zen 4 Auto IBRS & Much More
- Linux 6.3 Features Have A Lot For AMD & Intel — Also Steam Deck, ASUS Motherboards & More
- Intel i219-LM Had Only Been Running At ~60% Of Max
- The new Flathub Website — Welcome to Flathub, the home of hundreds of apps which can be easily installed on any Linux distribution.
- Flathub Website Gets a Brand New Look
- Docker Security Essentials eBook — This guide focuses on securing the Docker platform on Linux. Follow along with the techniques demonstrated in this guide. All you need is a Linux server with Docker installed and running.
- Ubuntu 23.04 Released — Our focus, as always, has been improving quality, performance and enjoyment for all our users, whether that’s more elegant update handling for snaps, improved UI for installation and quick settings or a more accessible gaming experience.
- Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster)
- Ubuntu 23.04 with GNOME 44 and a stable Steam Snap — [The] Snap of Steam [is] being promoted to stable. Canonical said over 150,000 people downloaded the preview version, so there was plenty of interest in it. This Snap bundles a bunch of dependencies needed allowing you to run new and old titles without messing with PPAs.
- Ubuntu 23.04 Lunar Lobster scuttles into public view — Lunar Lobster adds support for Microsoft Azure Active Directory — a first for a Linux desktop according to Canonical. The feature will allow users on Microsoft 365 Enterprise plans to authenticate Ubuntu Desktops using a common set of credentials.
- Ubuntu 23.04 Flavors: What’s New — Arriving alongside the Ubuntu 23.04 release are new versions of official community flavors.
- Azure AD authentication comes to Ubuntu Desktop 23.04 — Ubuntu Desktop 23.04 is the first and only Linux distribution to enable native user authentication with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD).
- aad-auth: Azure AD authentication module for Ubuntu — Azure AD User Authentication will be included as part of an Ubuntu Pro subscription in Ubuntu 23.04 before being backported to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and future LTS releases from 2023.
- microsoft-authentication-library-for-go — The MSAL library for Go is part of the Microsoft identity platform for developers (formerly named Azure AD) v2.0. It enables you to acquire security tokens to call protected APIs. It uses industry-standard OAuth2 and OpenID Connect.
- Next Ubuntu 23.10 Name — The Ubuntu release that will be delivered in October 2023, designated 23.10.
amd power use, azure active directory, azure ad, btrfs 6.2 regression fix, edubuntu, flathub new website, intel i219-lm, intel vpu, linux 6.3, linux action news, linux news podcast, mantic, red hat layoffs, risc-v, severance package, ubuntu 23.04, ubuntu cinnamon, wsl systemd