LAN 256: Linux Action News 256¶
- Air Date: 2022-09-01
- Duration: 17 mins 27 secs
About this episode¶
Debian’s firmware future is up for debate, Pine64 teases a RISC-V SBC, and some of your favorite tools just got new tricks.
- Kolide: User-centered, cross-platform endpoint security for teams that Slack.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- New fwupd 1.8.4 starts work on BIOS control — fwupd now reads your system BIOS settings, and has the ability to change them if the user desires (and has authorization to do).
- Fwupd 1.8.4 Supports More Hardware, Starts Allowing To Make BIOS Changes From Linux
- Canonical Continues Snap’ing Up Linux Gaming For Ubuntu — Canonical has been indicating they want to improve the Linux gaming experience on Ubuntu (and hiring for it) and ensure its a dominant platform for Linux gaming.
- Pine’ Star64 RISC-V based Single Board Computer
- Pine64 reveals the Star64 RISC-V based Single Board Computer — Along the long leading edges you’ll find PCIe on one end and GPIO on the other. At one end of the board you’ll find a digital video output, a double-stacked Gigabit Ethernet port and a 12V barrel plug for power. On the opposite side, you’ll find 3x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0, an audio jack as well as a power button. There are also two U.FL ports for antennas – one for bluetooth and the other for WiFi.
- NetworkManager 1.40 Released With Multi-Path TCP Support — Multi-Path TCP has come together in the kernel over the past two years for this standard, allowing TCP connections to use multiple paths for greater performance/efficiency and added redundancy.
- Debian General Resolution To Decide What To Do With Non-Free Firmware — The basic problem is that the use of downloadable firmware in computer systems is on the rise and most of that firmware is not free software. The official Debian installer only incorporates free software (and firmware), which leads to serious problems for many users.
- Debian Proposes Better Discovery of non-free Firmware Images
- General Resolution: non-free firmware
- Office Hours 11 — We launch our new site LIVE!
accessibility, bios, canonical, debian, debian debates, dhcp, feral interactive, firmware, foss, fwupd, gamemode, gaming on linux, general resolution, ipv6, linux action news, linux hardware support, linux kernel, linux news podcast, lvfs, mptcp, multi-path tcp, networking, networkmanager, non-free firmware, pine64, risc-v, snap packages, snapcraft, software freedom, star64, starfive, ubuntu, uefi