LAN 165: Linux Action News 165¶
- Air Date: 2020-11-29
- Duration: 30 mins 10 secs
About this episode¶
What caused the recent major AWS outage, the breaking changes that just arrived upstream, and a new mail client for Linux.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Prolonged AWS outage takes down a big chunk of the internet — Amazon noted that the issues are only affecting one of its 23 geographic AWS regions. But the problem was significant enough to take out a large number of internet services.
- Geoff Belknap on Twitter — “I… can’t vacuum… because us-east-1 is down.”
- Canonical publishes LTS Docker Image Portfolio on Docker Hub — The LTS Docker Image Portfolio comes with up to ten years Extended Security Maintenance by Canonical.
- Vivaldi Integrates Email Client, Feed Reader, and Calendar in a Browser — The Vivaldi team announced that they are bringing an Email client, a Feed Reader, and a Calendar – all of these together in the latest Vivaldi technical preview release.
- Introducing Vivaldi Mail in Technical Preview
- How to use the built-in GPG feature for Thunderbird
- Systemd 247 Released With Experimental Out-of-Memory Daemon, New Credentials Capability — systemd 247 is very heavy on new features, and one big change for udev.
- [systemd-devel] systemd 247 released
- NTFS read-write driver GPL implementation by Paragon Software — The Paragon NTFS kernel driver patch is now on its 13th iteration
- Microsoft is working on an Android subsystem for Windows 10 — This new initiative is called 'Project Latte,' and similar to Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), will create a virtualized Android environment running directly within Windows 10.
alexa, amazon, android, aws, breaking change, browser wars, canonical, cloud, cognito, containers, docker, email, feed reader, google, kinesis, linux action news, linux filesystems, linux news podcast, memory, microsoft, ntfs, oomd, outage, paragon, project astoria, project latte, psi, rate limiting, rdp, roomba, status page, systemd, ubuntu lts, udev, verified publisher program, vivaldi mail, wayland, weston, windows 10, wsl, wslg