LAN 080: Linux Action News 80¶
- Air Date: 2018-11-18
- Duration: 31 mins 33 secs
About this episode¶
Mark Shuttleworth announced 10 years support of Ubuntu 18.04, but there's a catch. Why we're buying the new Raspberry Pi, and we have a laugh at folding Android screens.
- New mid-range Raspberry Pi launched — TL;DR: you can now get the 1.4GHz clock speed, 5GHz wireless networking and improved thermals of Raspberry Pi 3B+ in a smaller form factor, and at the smaller price of $25.
- Raspbian updated — Today we’re releasing a new update for Raspbian, including a multimedia player, updated Thonny, and more.
- Kodak's new 3D printer has a Raspberry Pi inside
- Android prepares for folding screens — The multi-resume feature now makes it possible for multiple apps to be open and actually be running at the same time. Google is now allowing manufacturers to keep all apps resumed/active when in multi-window.
- Essential launches $149 clip-on headphone jack — It’s the $149 magnetic headphone jack adapter Essential promised way back in September 2017. The company first announced in June that the accessory would start shipping in the summer, but it apparently missed that deadline.
- Ubuntu 18.04 will be supported for 10 years — "I'm delighted to announce that Ubuntu 18.04 will be supported for a full 10 years," said Shuttleworth
- Ubuntu Advantage — $2,500 cart minimum applies.
- Canonical looking for investors — Shuttleworth likens this program of getting the company ready to IPO to getting fit. “There’s no point in saying: I haven’t done any exercise in the last 10 years but I’m going to sign up for tomorrow’s marathon,” he said.
- RHEL 8 beta released — Allows updating user space without breaking everything.
- Cryptocurrency market tanks — Within one brutal hour yesterday, Bitcoin’s price plummeted by around $800. The coin is trading under $5,800 for the first time since its October 2017 boom
- Linux Academy Black Friday Sale — Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale is happening now! Transform your cloud skills here at Linux Academy. Take your career to the next level with hands-on cloud and Linux training.
3a+, android q, bitcoin, canonical investors, essential phone, folding screens, kodak 3d printer, linux action show, linux news podcast, raspberry pi, raspberry pi 3 model a+, raspbian, red hat enterprise linux, rhel 8