LUP 512: The Sound of Rust¶
- Air Date: 2023-05-28
- Duration: 73 mins 58 secs
About this episode¶
We take a "Rust-only tools" challenge for a week and admit what worked, and what sucked. Plus, a surprise guest.
- Tailscale: Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- Bitwarden: Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.
- Why I left Rust
- LinuxFest Northwest 2023
- LinuxFest Northwest 2023 Call for Speakers
- GrapheneOS on Twitter — GrapheneOS will be undergoing restructuring of the organization and development team. Daniel Micay has stepped down as lead developer and will be stepping down as a non-profit director. Features and security patches will continue to be delivered to users as rapidly as before.
- Daniel Micay on Twitter — It appears the wording above was unclear. I'm stepping down as a GrapheneOS Foundation director and as lead developer. I won't have any leadership role in the GrapheneOS project. It will take time/work to transfer my responsibilities to others, especially non-development roles.
- Google account deleted after 2 hours of Aurora
- Adopting Bitcoin 2023
- LUP on in the top 10 charts TWICE.
- Bitcoin Dad Pod
- Polaris — Polaris is a music streaming application, designed to let you enjoy your music collection from any computer or mobile device.
- Polaris Demo
- docker-polaris: Small docker of Polaris based on Alpine Linux
- Polaris on Google Play
- Polaris Android on F-Droid
- Polarios on App Store
- Lapce — Lapce is written in pure Rust with a UI in Druid (which is also written in Rust). It is designed with Rope Science from the Xi-Editor which makes for lightning-fast computation, and leverages OpenGL for rendering.
- Lapce on Flathub
- Lapce packaged in Nix
- Lapce Plugins
- xi-editor: A modern editor with a backend written in Rust.
- awesome-alternatives-in-rust: A curated list of replacements for existing software written in Rust
- awesome-rust: A curated list of Rust code and resources.
- BitFocus Companion — Bitfocus Companion enables the reasonably priced Elgato Streamdeck to be a professional shotbox surface for a huge amount of different presentation switchers, video playback software and broadcast equipment.
- Podcasting 2.0 Apps
- LINUX Unplugged on the Podcastindex.org
- Pick: Please Run That — A Python socket app for letting a friend execute a command on your system without using a ssh server all, with a simple GUI It has active development and works OOTB.
- Pick: turtle — Turtle is a gtk4 + libadwaita frontend for pygit2 with nautilus plugin support. The project is currently in a very early development stage.
android, automation, bitcoin dad pod, bitfocus companion, call for papers, chatgpt, daniel micay, dmr, docker-polaris, elgato, f-droid, ft8, git, gmrs, gnome plugin, google account deletion, grapheneos, grapheneos restructuring, gtk, ham, happy birthday brent, jupiter broadcasting, lapce, linux audio setup, linux podcast, linux unplugged, linuxfest northwest, lsp, modal editing, music streaming, nextcloud cookbook, pipewire, please run that, polaris, redox os, rope science, rust, rust code editor, security, stream deck, turtle, vim, wasi, xi, 🦒