LAN 164: Linux Action News 164¶
- Air Date: 2020-11-22
- Duration: 30 mins 6 secs
About this episode¶
The details behind youtube-dl's return to GitHub, our thoughts on the rumored SUSE IPO, and our concerns with Servo's new home.
- Standing up for developers: youtube-dl is back — Today we reinstated youtube-dl, a popular project on GitHub, after we received additional information about the project that enabled us to reverse a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown.
- Remove cipher algorithm and mentions of copyrighted material
- GitHub reinstates youtube-dl library after EFF intervention
- $6 billion Linux deal? SUSE IPO rumored — SUSE, the major European Linux company, may soon be spun out in a $6 billion IPO.
- EQT Said to Plan IPO of $6 Billion Software Developer SUSE
- Canonical Saw ~$119M Revenue In 2019 But Still Operating At A Loss — Ubuntu maker Canonical Holdings Limited recently submitted their UK financial report for their fiscal year ending 31 December 2019. During the pre-COVID times they generated around 22% more revenue than 2018 but still operated at a loss albeit more narrowly than in prior years.
- Librem 5 Mass Production Phone Has Begun Shipping — Purism has begun shipping its mass-produced Librem 5 phone to customers.
- Servo’s new home — Servo was incubated inside Mozilla, and served as the proof that important web components such as CSS and rendering could be implemented in Rust, with all its safety, concurrency and speed.
- Mozilla Punts Servo Web Engine Development To The Linux Foundation
- Starting January 4, 2021, Google will block all sign-ins to Google accounts from embedded browser frameworks — The browser must identify itself clearly in the User-Agent. The browser must not try to impersonate another browser like Chrome or Firefox.
- Guidance to developers affected by our effort to block less secure browsers and applications
apple m1, arm, browser wars, canonical, cef, chrome embedded framework, docker, docker desktop, eff, electron, epiphany, eqt, gimp, github, golang, google, librem 5, linux action news, linux foundation, linux news podcast, michael catanzaro, microsoft, mozilla, oauth, phosh, purism, riaa, servo, suse, ubuntu, youtube-dl