LAN 176: Linux Action News 176¶
- Air Date: 2021-02-14
- Duration: 27 mins 0 secs
About this episode¶
Microsoft and Ubuntu's relationship is under a new spotlight this week.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Dev creeped out after he fired up Ubuntu VM on Azure, was immediately approached by Canonical sales rep — "The creepiest thing," he said, "[was] the direct contact on my private LinkedIn account" – which he noted did not share "the same corporate email.
- ＣｙｂｅｒＡｎｔａｎｉ on Twitter
- KDE Plasma 5.21 is Packed with New Features — KDE Plasma 5.21 is going to be released on February 16 and when it arrives it’ll bring a barrel load of changes and enhancements with it.
- This week in KDE — Plasma 5.21 approaches!
- Linux 5.11 Is Heavy On New Features, Improvements For 2021 — There are a ton of Intel and AMD changes, Syscall User Dispatch for helping some newer Windows games run under Wine, continued IO_uring advancements, many Btrfs file-system improvements, Lenovo contributed ThinkPad palm sensor detection support, and much more.
- Linux 5.11 - Linux Kernel Newbies
- Syscall User Dispatch Appears Destined For Linux 5.11 To Help Windows Games On Linux
- AMD Ryzen, EPYC 5~6% Faster Out-Of-The-Box With Linux 5.11
- Intel Xe Graphics Are Looking Great On Linux 5.11 With Nice Performance Uplift
- OpenLiteSpeed WordPress Server | Linode Marketplace
- System76 Begins Detailing Their Open-Source “Launch Configurable Keyboard” — Like the Thelio computers, System76 is going to be manufacturing their own keyboards at their facility in Denver, Colorado.
- Keyboards Go Open Source With System76’s ‘Launch Configurable Keyboard’
- system76/launch on GitHub — System76 Launch Configurable Keyboard
- System76 on Twitter — “The Launch keyboard PCB! #system76 #launch #keyboard #linux #comingsoon #sneakpeek"
- AMD Is Currently Hiring More Linux Engineers — Several of these new job descriptions do begin with, "step up into a new organization built to engage more strategically and deeply with the technical teams of our commercial customers."
- AMD “Green Sardine” Firmware Published For Linux Users
- Google Fuchsia OS could run Android & Linux apps ‘natively’ — This week, a proposal has been put forward for an alternative solution for Fuchsia to run programs meant for Linux and Android. Instead of running Linux itself, Fuchsia would gain a system called “Starnix,” which would act as a translator between instructions for the Linux kernel and instructions for Fuchsia’s Zircon kernel.
- [rfc] Running unmodified Linux programs on Fuchsia
- Fuchsia - Starnix Proposal
- Hacker News Comments — Running unmodified Linux programs on Fuchsia
- Homework: Uncovering a 24-year-old bug in the Linux Kernel
- Homework: Visual guide to SSH tunnels
- Homework: FOSDEM 2021 Videos
amd, android, azure, azure marketplace, breeze twilight, btrfs, canonical, cloud, custom keyboard, drm, epyc, fosdem 2021, fuchsia, google, intel xe graphics, kate, kde, kickoff menu, launch, launch configurable keyboard, lenovo, linux 5.11, linux action news, linux gaming, linux news podcast, microsoft, open hardware, plasma 5.21, rsync, rust, ryzen, ryzen 5000, skroutz, ssh tunnels, starnix, syscall emulation, syscall user dispatch, system76, tcp, ubuntu, wayland, wifi 6e, wine, zircon