LUP 472: 5 Problems With NixOS¶
- Air Date: 2022-08-21
- Duration: 70 mins 3 secs
About this episode¶
The five most common problems when trying out an immutable Linux distro like NixOS. Plus, why one Linux dev says just target WINE.
- Tailscale: Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- Bitwarden: Bitwarden is the easiest way for businesses and individuals to store, share, and sync sensitive data.
- New Flathub Site in Beta - Big Things Coming — [...] next steps are to flesh out the donation infrastructure with the aim to allow app pages to have their own link to donation/purchase.
- Win32 Is The Only Stable ABI on Linux — I think this whole situation shows why creating native games for Linux is challenging. It’s hard to blame developers for targeting Windows and relying on Wine + friends. It’s just much more stable and much less likely to break and stay broken.
- The Offending glibc Commit
- A glibc Bug
- The ABI status of ELF hash tables — If EAC were free software, of course, chances are there would already be a patch circulating to deal with the problem. As it is, only its owner can deal with this problem directly. Meanwhile, though, there is another workaround available: distributors can easily patch the glibc build to restore the DT_HASH section and make the problem go away for now.
- Jupiter JPL Meetup Form
- JB Meetups
- West Coast Crew Matrix Room
- Endless OS — The Endless Operating System is simple and easy for anyone to use. It is fully equipped with essential apps to learn, play, work and connect.
- Different methods to run a non-NixOS executable on NixOS — What are the different methods to run a non-NixOS executable on NixOS? I'd like to see also the manual methods.
- nix-ld: Run unpatched dynamic binaries on NixOS
- vscode with extensions nix package
- vscode FHS compatible
- toolbox-vscode — Toolbox Visual Studio Code integration
- Self-Hosted 67: The No Container Theory — Why Chris is moving away from using Containers, Alex's new project, and some great follow-up.
- Podcasting 2.0 Apps — Grab a Podcasting 2.0 compatible app, and boost into the show.
- Heroic Games Launcher — Heroic is an Open Source GOG and Epic games launcher for Linux, Windows and macOS. Also available on the Steam Deck!
- Heroic Games Launcher | Flathub
abi, anti-cheat, backward compatibility, colo, containers, eac, elf, endless os, fhs, flathub, flatpak, gaming on linux, glibc, heroic games launcher, ilo, jupiter broadcasting, kde, libc, linux podcast, linux unplugged, matrix, nano, nix, nixos, plasma, proton, server, stability, steam, steam deck, steam-run, valve, vscode, win32, wine, wireguard