LUP 288: We're Gonna Need a Bigger Repo¶
- Air Date: 2019-02-12
- Duration: 72 mins 2 secs
About this episode¶
The hype around a new security flaw hits new levels. Fedora has a bunch of news, and we discover what's new in the latest Plasma release.
- KDE Plasma 5.15: Lightweight, Usable and Productive — Discover, Plasma's software and add-on installer, has received tonnes of improvements to help you stay up-to-date and find the tools you need to get your tasks done.
- CVE-2019-5736: runc container breakout (all versions) — However, it is blocked through correct use of user namespaces (where the host root is not mapped into the container's user namespace).
- Container Bug Allows Attackers to Gain Root Access on Host Machine — The container bug, CVE-2019-5736, affects runc, the underlying container runtime for Docker, containerd, Kubernetes, cri-o and other container software, which means that nearly everyone running containers is affected.
- Doomsday Docker security hole uncovered | ZDNet
- Linux Coin Miner Removes All Other Malware and Miners
- Fedora logo redesign — The current Fedora Logo has been used by Fedora and the Fedora Community since 2005. However, over the past few months, Máirín Duffy and the Fedora Design team, along with the wider Fedora community have been working on redesigning the Fedora logo.
- Fedora's FESCo Approves Of A "Sane" Approach For Counting Fedora Users Via DNF — Baked over the past month was a new privacy-minded plan for counting users via DNF that relies upon a "countme" bit that will be incremented weekly or so and not have any UUID as originally envisioned
- Fedora 30 Will Get Bash 5.0 But Yum's Death Sentence Postponed To F31
- Draft Fedora 31 schedule available – Fedora Community Blog — After some discussion before the end of the year, we decided not to go with an extended development cycle for Fedora 31.
- SCALE Saturday Dinner JB Meetup — Let's eat and be merry at P.F. Changes Saturday night of SCALE17x!
- Containers: What you need to know; so you know what you need to know - Ell Marquez at S
- Elementary Staging COPR Repo — This repository contains packages of official elementaryOS projects which are not (yet) ready for inclusion in fedora as official packages.
- Ellopunk/OSchallenge - openSUSE — Ell's openSUSE journey notes.
- Pantheon Desktop on Fedora — The Pantheon desktop environment is the DE that powers elementaryOS. It builds on GNOME technologies, but utilizes components that were written from scratch in vala, using the GTK+3 toolkit.
- UberWriter — It's a simple markdown editor that offers a lot of features.
- solVItaire — An implementation of the classic solitaire games Klondike and Spider which has some nice to use vi(1) like keybindings, but can also be played with standard cursor keys, the number pad/row or even the mouse.
- VIM Adventures — Learn VIM while playing a game!
- Solvitaire As a SNAP
- FireQOS Reference
- FireQOS New User Tutorial
apparmor, containers, copr, cryptominers, discover, dnf, docker, fedora, fedora 30, fedora schedule, gtk, journalism, jupiter broadcasting, kde, korkerds, linux journalism, linux podcast, lxc, opensuse, opensuse challenge, packagekit, pantheon, plasma 5.15, red hat, rolling release, runc, scale 17x, security, selinux, solvitaire, suse, tumbleweed, uberwriter, unplugged, user metrics, uuid, vala, vulnerability, wireguard, yast, zdnet, zypper