CR 480: Google's 1984 Moment¶
- Air Date: 2022-08-24
- Duration: 76 mins 47 secs
About this episode¶
We're spooked to learn how one man's life has been turned upside down just because he used Google Photos.
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/coder
- Tailscale: Tailscale is the easiest way to create a peer-to-peer network with the power of Wireguard.
- Michael Dominick on Twitter — Check out "TCG-Con Tampa"
- Why Pixelmator Photo is switching to subscription pricing — TL;DR: Pixelmator Photo will now cost $4.99 per month, $23.99 per year, or $54.99 for a lifetime license but existing paid users get unlimited access for free.
- Our West Coast Meetup Chat Room on Matrix — Join our room and get the inside deets.
- Jupiter @ JPL - Get your name in the Hat! — We picking names SOON.
- Announcing .NET 7 Preview 7 — This preview of .NET 7 includes improvements to System.LINQ, Unix file permissions, low-level structs, p/Invoke source generation, code generation, and websockets.
- A Dad Took Photos of His Naked Toddler for the Doctor. Google Flagged Him as a Criminal. — Google has an automated tool to detect abusive images of children. But the system can get it wrong, and the consequences are serious.
- Matthew Green on Twitter — He took a private photo intended for a doctor. In a situation where human being expect (but may not be entitled to) the most extreme privacy that our technical situations have to offer. Instead his child’s genitals were transmitted to a team of people and he lost years of data.
- Matthew Green on Twitter — This is the situation that every normal person fears will happen when “classifiers work as intended” on their private data. It’s fine to argue this is an extreme and regrettable edge case we can design out of the system. To say it’s defensible? That’s dangerous.
- Deirdre Connolly¹ on Twitter — "Fun" reveal in this story: per the (erroneous) referral to police, Google complied with a warrant for this user's /entire Google search history/, as well as location history, messages, and any documents they had associated with the account
- The Amazing Critter Man 🇺🇸🐍 on Twitter — Consider this: These photos were unique. There was no hash in any law enforcement database for these images. Google still found them. They look at your stuff, you have no secrets from Google. Don't give them anything, you have everything to hide.
- Micro Frontend Architecture for Mobile Web Apps — Portals micro frontends allow multiple teams to build, test, and ship in parallel with hyper-focused embedded web experiences in your React Native, Android, and iOS mobile apps.
- Appflow — Move faster with cloud native builds, live updates, app publishing, and the ability to automate all of it.
- It’s time for Apple to fix texting. — These problems exist because Apple refuses to adopt modern texting standards when people with iPhones and Android phones text each other.
- Follow Chris on Fountain — Fountain offers a rich clip discovery system. Follow the ones I publish with this link.
- New Podcast Apps — Grab a Podcasting 2.0 compatible app, or try out Breez and keep your app!
.net 7, android get the message, appflow, coder radio, cordova, csam, cybertipline, development podcast, google, ionic, ionic portals, maui, minimal api, pixelmator, rcs, remote work, subscription fatigue, tcg tampa, the orville