LAN 213: Linux Action News 213¶
- Air Date: 2021-10-31
- Duration: 23 mins 52 secs
About this episode¶
New Raspberry Pi hardware has a few surprises, the most impressive things in Linux 5.15, and our reaction to classic functionality under consideration for removal from Fedora.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- New product: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W on sale now at $15 — Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W uses the same Broadcom BCM2710A1 SoC die as the launch version of Raspberry Pi 3, with Arm cores slightly down-clocked to 1GHz, bundled into a single space-saving package alongside 512MB of LPDDR2 SDRAM.
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with Ubuntu Server 21.10 support is here
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Launches As Newer, Faster $10 Single Board Computer
- Microsoft Edge finally arrives on Linux – “Official” build lands in repos — We’re happy to see Edge for Linux finally make Stable and Official status, because we find it handy to have two distinct browsers on any operating system platform we use.
- Element One - Matrix, WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram in one place — Element One is a huge step change. It’s a very affordable, unlimited usage way for people to have all of Matrix, WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram in one place - that’s a combined three billion users!
- Element 1.9.1 - Chat Export is finally here!!
- The 15 Most Interesting Linux 5.15 Kernel Features From NTFS3 To KSMBD — Linus Torvalds went ahead and released Linux 5.15 today on Halloween rather than delaying the kernel for another week.
- Linux 5.15 Released
- Fedora considers removing NIS support — The change proposal does note that: "For some users this change may be a bit disruptive and it may require some learning curve for switching to alternative solutions".
- What is the support status of Network Information Service — As seen from the RHEL8.3 release notes the yp rpms (ypserv, ypbind, yp-tools) have been marked as deprecated. Furthermore those components will no longer be available in RHEL-9.
- Fedora 35 Cleared For Release Next Week — Confirmation of Fedora 35 being ready to ship next week was announced today.
active directory, amd van gogh, apple m1 iommu driver, apu, bcm2710a1, björn esser, edge linux version, element one, ems, fedora, freeipa, in-kernel samba file server, ksmbd, linux 5.15 new features, linux action news, linux news podcast, matrix, microsoft edge, nis, nis+, ntfs3, pi zero thermal throttling, preempt_rt, raspberry pi zero 2 w, red hat enterprise, rhel 9, signal, stephen john smoogen, sun microsystems, telegram, whatsapp, yellow pages