LAN 083: Linux Action News 83¶
- Air Date: 2018-12-09
- Duration: 24 mins 59 secs
About this episode¶
Microsoft is moving to Chromium, and Mozilla isn't too thrilled about it.
- Microsoft Edge to move to a Chromium base — Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation of the web for all web developers.
- Mozilla not exactly thrilled about it — Microsoft is officially giving up on an independent shared platform for the internet.
- Chrome and Firefox to have native Arm builds on Win10 — Mozilla announced today it is working on bringing a native version of Firefox to Windows 10 on ARM. The organization is doing so in cooperation with Qualcomm.
- WordPress 5 Released — The new block-based editor won’t change the way any of your content looks to your visitors. What it will do is let you insert any type of multimedia in a snap and rearrange to your heart’s content.
- Emby becomes proprietary — we are modularizing and open sourcing as many standalone components as we possibly can.
- Spectre slowdown fix — Linux 4.20-rc5 addresses the performance issue by making the security defense optional.
- NVIDIA open sources PhysX — We’re doing this because physics simulation — long key to immersive games and entertainment — turns out to be more important than we ever thought.
- Steam Link lives on via the Raspberry Pi — The Steam Link app is now available in beta on the Raspberry Pi 3 and 3 B+ running Raspbian Stretch
blink, chromium, emby, emby goes proprietary, firefox, jupiter broadcasting, linux action show, microsoft edge, mozilla, nvidia, physx open sourced, spectre slow down fix, steam link raspberry pi, wordpress 5