LAN 286: Linux Action News 286¶
- Air Date: 2023-03-30
- Duration: 20 mins 52 secs
About this episode¶
What we're liking about GNOME 44, how Microsoft's Linux distro is trying to attract more users, and we bust a CentOS myth.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Kolide: Kolide can help you nail third-party audits and internal compliance goals with endpoint security for your entire fleet.
- GNOME 44 Released — GNOME 44 is code-named “Kuala Lumpur”, in recognition of the work done by the organizers of GNOME.Asia 2022.
- GNOME 44 Released With Many Desktop Enhancements
- GNOME 44 Getting New Background Apps UI
- Ubuntu Touch OTA-1 Focal Release — This is the first OTA for Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) with major features, this is an Opt-In and not mandatory update.
- First Ubuntu Touch OTA Release Based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Is Out Now
- Ubuntu Cinnamon Flavor Status Announcement — Ubuntu Cinnamon started as a small idea in my head, in 2019. I was ELEVEN.
- ItzSwirlz (Joshua Peisach)
- Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix Becomes Official Ubuntu Flavor
- Microsoft’s CBL-Mariner Linux Distribution Continues Cultivating More Packages — With today's CBL-Mariner 2.0.20230321 they have continued cultivating more packages for the distribution.
- CBL-Mariner GitHub
- We’re no longer sunsetting the Free Team plan — After listening to feedback and consulting our community, it’s clear that we made the wrong decision in sunsetting our Free Team plan.
- Google discloses CentOS Linux kernel vulnerabilities following failure to issue timely fixes — Google Project Zero's security researcher Jann Horn learned that kernel fixes made to stable trees are not backported to many enterprise versions of Linux.
- Google Security Researchers Accuse CentOS of Failing to Backport Kernel Fixes
- Project Zero Mailing List Thread on CentOS Kernel Patches
- Berlin Meet Up #2 - Nextcloud Hackfest & Dev Community Introduction, Fri, Mar 31, 2023 — NOTE: the time detailed on Meetup.com is strictly set to PST, so don't be confused by the interface!
alma linux, android, apache, arch, azure, background app portal, background apps, backporting, backports, bug, bugzilla, canonical, cbl mariner, centos, centos stream 9, cinnamon, clutter, console, cve, desktop environment, device security, distros, docker, docker hub, docker-sponsored open source, enterprise, enterprise linux, file chooser, flatpak, focal fossa, free teams, freefont, gcc, github, gnome 44, gnome software, google, gtk4, jann horn, kernel, linux, linux action news, linux desktop, linux mint, linux news podcast, lomiri, lts, lunar lobster, maps, microsoft, mobile, mutter, nix, notifications, open source, opengl, ota-1 focal, patches, perl, programming, project zero, python, qt, quick settings, redhat, redis, responsible disclosure, rhel, rocky linux, rolling release, rust, security, severity, stable kernel, systemd, ubports, ubuntu, ubuntu 23.04, ubuntu cinnamon, ubuntu cinnamon remix, ubuntu flavor, ubuntu touch, ubuntu unity, unity8, upstream, vim, vulnerabilities, waydroid, wayland, wsl