LAN 255: Linux Action News 255¶
- Air Date: 2022-08-25
- Duration: 20 mins 11 secs
About this episode¶
Details on two new efforts in the Linux kernel, the Pi-like RISC-V board that just hit its funding goal, and a significant milestone for Asahi GPU driver development.
- Kolide: User-centered, cross-platform endpoint security for teams that Slack.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Experimental Kernel Patches — Patches sent out today clean-up the code taken on those architectures for bringing CPU cores down and allow for parallelism. With these patches and an 80-core Arm server, a Kexec reboot can go from taking around 15 seconds to now just around one second.
- ByteDance Working To Make It Faster Kexec Booting The Linux Kernel
- [RFC 00/10] arm64/riscv: Introduce fast kexec reboot - Pingfan Liu
- [PATCH 0/4] faster kexec reboot - Albert Huang
- VisionFive 2 — Kickstarter — High-performance quad-core RISC-V single board computer (SBC) with an integrated 3D GPU, 2G/4G/8G LPDDR.
- Linux Foundation TAB election: call for nominees — The 2022 election for members of the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board (TAB) will be held during the Linux Plumbers Conference, September 12 to 14.
- Webmin 2.0 Released — Webmin is a web-based system administration tool for Unix-like servers and services with over 1,000,000 installations worldwide.
- Flatpak 1.14.0 Released — Flatpak 1.14 brings a variety of mostly small and lower-level improvements to this Linux app sandboxing tech
- Flatpak 1.14 Released With Improvements For Sandboxed Linux Apps
- Firefox 104.0 — The Firefox UI itself will now be throttled for performance and battery usage when minimized or occluded, in the same way background tabs are.
- Rosenzweig – Clip control on the Apple GPU — After a year in development, the open source “Asahi” driver for the Apple GPU is running real games.
- Asahi Linux May Have OpenGL 2.1 For Apple M1/M2 By Year’s End — " I’m optimistic that we’ll have native OpenGL 2.1 in Asahi Linux by the end of the year."
aarch64, alyssa rosenzweig, apple m, asahi, asahi linux by the end of the year, firefox 104, flatpak 1.14.0, flatpak command-line, gpu driver, idle ui, imagination bxe-4-32, kernel patches, kexec, kickstarter, linux action news, linux foundation technical advisory board, linux news podcast, mesa, metal, neverball, opengl, perl, risc-v, risc-v dev board, sifive, starfive, super early bird special, tab, visionfive 2, webmin