LUP 425: Sad Server Stories¶
- Air Date: 2021-09-28
- Duration: 52 mins 40 secs
About this episode¶
Sometimes things go wrong; this week, we admit we've got a problem.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- A Cloud Guru: By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.
- Amazon’s Astro home robot is like having Alexa on wheels — Amazon claims the Astro can do a wide variety of things you might want from a home robot. It can map out your floor plan and obey commands to go to a specific room. It can recognize faces and deliver items to a specific person.
- “Intel Software Defined Silicon” Coming To Linux For Activating Extra Licensed Hardware Features — The Intel Software Defined Silicon (SDSi) driver is for supporting the "post-manufacturing mechanism for activating additional silicon features."
- One of the Steam Deck’s biggest hurdles just disappeared: EAC has come to Linux and BattlEye is inbound — While developers would still need to patch their games, this immediately means some of the most popular games on Steam are now theoretically within reach, including Apex Legends, Dead by Daylight, and War Thunder, which are all among the top 25 games on Steam.
- Syscall User Dispatch — The Linux Kernel documentation — Compatibility layers like Wine need a way to efficiently emulate system calls of only a part of their process - the part that has the incompatible code - while being able to execute native syscalls without a high performance penalty on the native part of the process. Syscall User Dispatch brings the filtering of the syscall dispatcher address back to userspace.
- Steam Deck :: FAQ
- Poll: Which “server” distro should we go with next? — So it's time to replace our garage server... We've been running Arch, and so far it's worked mostly great. Should we keep pushing our luck, or try something new?
- PowerEdge R820 Rack Server Details
- PhoneTrack - Nextcloud Apps — PhoneTrack is a Nextcloud application to track and store mobile device's locations.
- Pick: tubearchivist — Your self-hosted YouTube media server.
alexa, amazon astro, anti-cheat, arch linux, battleye, btrfs, centos, collabora, dead by daylight, dell poweredge r820, destiny, disk array, dual booting, eac, elementary os, epic, gentoo, hackfest, idrac, intel software defined silicon, ipmi, itanium, jupiter broadcasting, linux podcast, linux unplugged, location tracking, nebula, networking backdoor, nextcloud, nix, nixos, phonetrack, pikvm, raspberry pi, rawhide, robot dog, rolling release, rolling server, rustdesk, sdsi, self-hosting, snapper, snapshots, steam deck, storage, syscall user dispatch, tubearchivist, tumbleweed, ups, valve, wireguard, youtube, yt-dlp, zfs