LUP 426: This Old Linux PC¶
- Air Date: 2021-10-05
- Duration: 69 mins 51 secs
About this episode¶
It's the worst time ever to upgrade or buy a new PC, so we cover our favorite tips for getting the most out of your current hardware. Then we pit a 2014 desktop against a 2021 laptop and find out if our old clunker can beat the Thinkpad.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- A Cloud Guru: By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.
- It Seems Pop OS Linux Will Soon be Available on Raspberry Pi and Other ARM Devices — System76’s Principal Engineer and maintainer of Pop!_OS, Jeremy Soller shared a teaser photo on Twitter recently.
- PipeWire and fixing the Linux Video Capture stack — With PipeWire having stabilized a lot for audio now we feel the time has come to go back to the video side of PipeWire and work to improve the state-of-art for video capture handling under Linux.
- Linux Action News 209 — Why Linus believes keeping Linux fun is critical, the massive investment Fedora is about to make in video, and why we suspect Cloudflare's R2 service will make Amazon squirm.
- AlmaLinux OS Foundation Membership Opens to the Public — An individual can qualify for membership as anyone who uses AlmaLinux OS, contributes to AlmaLinux OS, provides services to the AlmaLinux OS community or otherwise supports the AlmaLinux OS. All past and present contributors or mirror maintainers would qualify as Contributor members.
- What AlmaLinux Foundation Membership Means for You - AlmaLinux OS Blog — We all own AlmaLinux now and no one can change that. Forever. Not CloudLinux, not any other corporation or anyone else. Our fate and future are in the hands of every member and is ours alone to control. We're no longer bound by one person, group or entity. It can not be bought nor sold, nor transferred or fought about.
- Unofficial user repositories/Repo-ck - ArchWiki
- tubearchivist has a docker-compose.yml
- Which “server” distro should we go with next? | StrawPoll.com
- Pick: Helvum — Helvum is a GTK-based patchbay for pipewire, inspired by the JACK tool catia.
- Pick: tubesync — Syncs YouTube channels and playlists to a locally hosted media server.
1440p, 144hz, almalinux foundation, alsa, amd, arm64, centos, cheese, christian f.k. schaller, egpu, fedora, flatpak, garuda, geekbench, greensysadmin, gstreamer, helvum, jack aboutboul, jupiter broadcasting, libcamera, linux desktop, linux graphics, linux podcast, linux unplugged, linux-ck, linux-zen, nixos, nvidia, nvme, old hardware, old pc, opensuse, pipewire, pop!_os, profile-sync-daemon, pulseaudio, raspberry pi, rust, sandboxed apps, thinkpad x1 carbon, thunderbolt, tubearchivist, tubesync, tumbleweed, v4l2, video camera, wayland, wim taymans