CR 504: Gateway Timeout Error¶
- Air Date: 2023-02-08
- Duration: 55 mins 2 secs
About this episode¶
We get spicy about the state of hybrid app development and then dig into the App store gatekeeper busting by the White House.
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/coder
- Tailscale: Tailscale is the easiest way to create a peer-to-peer network with the power of Wireguard.
- The Coder: The Coder is made from 100% cotton terry velour for soft, cozy wear. Embroidered on the left chest with a classic white on black Coder Radio logo.
- The Coder Robe — The Coder Robe is black and is a one-size-fits-most robe made from 100% cotton terry velour for soft, cozy wear. It is embroidered on the left chest with a classic white on black Coder Radio logo.
- Coder Tumbler — What’s an episode of Coder Radio without a wine tumbler to keep a drink fresh and at just the right temperature? Forget breakable and EASY to spill glasses—give this uniquely shaped wine tumbler a chance and have fun with friends without worry.
- Coder Cut Sticker — Give your gear a quick upgrade, with a Coder Sticker! Get motivated every time you look at the Coder sticker by remembering that thing we said that really pissed you off. Add a little extra motivation and joy to your life when you remember you spill less than Mike. They will serve as a perfect reminder to live your life to the fullest.
- Microsoft announces surprise event for tomorrow with Bing ChatGPT expected — Microsoft is holding a special press event at its Redmond headquarters tomorrow, and it’s expected to focus primarily on its OpenAI partnership and ChatGPT for Bing.
- Aaruni Kaushik on Masto — @ChrisLAS In coder 503 you advocate chatGPT like AI for your RV's wiring diagram. But how would it be any better than the website just having a make-model-variant selector as input and giving you the diagram in return? Sure you could apply AI here, but its not required as far as I can see ? #CoderRadio #AI #chatgpt
- Join our JB Jobs Room — Matrix chat room for folks looking to hire, or looking for work.
- Google Working on Browser for iOS That Would Break Apple's App Store Rules — Based on the visible code commits, the app purportedly looks like the start of an alternate browser build and is still missing some key features at this early stage. Google claims that the app is merely "an experimental prototype [...] with the goal to understand certain aspects of performance on iOS," and "it will not be available to users and we'll continue to abide by Apple's policies."
- What is .NET MAUI? — .NET MAUI is open-source and is the evolution of Xamarin.Forms, extended from mobile to desktop scenarios, with UI controls rebuilt from the ground up for performance and extensibility.
- Flutter — Flutter transforms the app development process. Build, test, and deploy beautiful mobile, web, desktop, and embedded apps from a single codebase.
- Flutter desktop isn't there yet — In practice, though, Flutter is currently not a great option if you want to build a new desktop application from the ground up. What follows is a quick summary of the issues I encountered while using Flutter to do exactly this myself.
- Biden Administration Wants Apple to Quit Gatekeeping the iPhone — The NTIA says it’s a problem that consumers cannot easily use apps from outside the respective app stores on both the Android and iOS platforms and that “they should be able to choose their own apps as defaults, use alternative mobile app stores and delete or hide pre-installed apps.”
- Direct Link to Report [PDF]
- Apple sales drop 5% in largest quarterly revenue decline since 2016 — CEO Tim Cook said three factors hurt the results: a strong dollar, production issues in China affecting the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, and the overall macroeconomic environment.
- Apple Now Has More Than Two Billion Active Devices Worldwide — There are more than two billion active iPhones, iPads, Macs, and other Apple devices worldwide, Apple said today in the earnings report covering the first fiscal quarter of 2023.
- Alby — Lightning for your Browser! — Alby brings Boosts to the web.
- Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — Boost the show from the Podcast Index website, first top off Alby, and then head on over!
.net, android, app store model, bard, binggpt, blink, chatgpt, coder radio, department of commerce’s national telecommunications and information administration, development podcast, flutter, flutter desktop, gatekeepers, google, google browser prototype, hybrid mobile, ie doj antitrust, maui, microsoft, mobile app ecosystem report, ntia, sticker, the coder robe, tumbler