LAN 117: Linux Action News 117¶
- Air Date: 2019-08-04
- Duration: 28 mins 6 secs
About this episode¶
Manjaro's news starts us off and leads us into a bigger philosophical question about open source development.
- Manjaro to ship FreeOffice by default — We will ship FreeOffice by default. This is possible since we partnered up with Softmaker. Enjoy the best compatibility to MS Office.
- Manjaro backtracks — Manjaro will not be installing FreeOffice by default.
- GNOME and KDE to co-host the Linux App Summit in November — The GNOME Foundation and KDE e.V. are proud to announce Linux App Summit 2019. The Linux App Summit will be held in Barcelona from November 12th to 15th, 2019.
- An update on Android for search providers in Europe — Next year, we'll introduce a new way for Android users to select a search provider to power a search box on their home screen and as the default in Chrome (if installed).
- Google will use a first-price sealed-bid auction
- DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) Update — We want to understand how often users of Firefox are subject to these network configurations.
- Contract for the Web is becoming a reality — Berners-Lee has called it many things since he announced it at the 2018 Web Summit: a contract, a “magna carta” and a Bill of Rights.
- Browser vendors win war with W3C over HTML and DOM standards
- Moving the Linux desktop to another reality — Today, we are very excited to announce a new open source project which enables interaction with traditional desktop environments, such as GNOME and KDE, in VR.
android choice screen, contract for the web, dns-over-https, doh, freeoffice, gnome shell, google in europe, gulkan, jupiter broadcasting, kwin, linux academy, linux action show, linux app summit, linux news podcast, manjaro, openvr, plasma, vr desktop, xrdesktop