CR 426: The Thoughtful Triangle¶
- Air Date: 2021-08-11
- Duration: 38 mins 48 secs
About this episode¶
Is there a secret motive behind Apple's announced plans to scan iMessage and iCloud Photo Library content?
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/coder
- Datadog: Try Datadog free by starting a your 14-day trial and receive a free t-shirt once you install the agent.
- A Cloud Guru: A Cloud Guru now includes Cloud Playground. Azure, AWS, or GCP Sandboxes at your fingertips.
- Apple to scan U.S. iPhones for images of child sexual abuse — Apple unveiled plans to scan U.S. iPhones for images of child sexual abuse, drawing applause from child protection groups but raising concern among some security researchers that the system could be misused, including by governments looking to surveil their citizens.
- Edward Snowden on Twitter — No matter how well-intentioned, @Apple is rolling out mass surveillance to the entire world with this. Make no mistake: if they can scan for kiddie porn today, they can scan for anything tomorrow. They turned a trillion dollars of devices into iNarcs—without asking.
- An Open Letter Against Apple's Privacy-Invasive Content Scanning Technology
- Epic Games CEO warns of Apple 'state surveillance'
- Daring Fireball: Apple’s New ‘Child Safety’ Initiatives, and the Slippery Slope
- Exclusive: Apple dropped plan for encrypting backups after FBI complained — Apple Inc AAPL.O dropped plans to let iPhone users fully encrypt backups of their devices in the company's iCloud service after the FBI complained that the move would harm investigations, six sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.
- Zoom to pay $85M for lying about encryption and sending data to Facebook and Google — Zoom users to get $15 or $25 each in proposed settlement of class-action lawsuit.