CR 526: The Closing Moment of Opportunity¶
- Air Date: 2023-07-12
- Duration: 50 mins 45 secs
About this episode¶
openAI's window to build their moat is closing, but they have a powerful friend stepping up to help seal the deal. Plus, our reaction to Oracle's very spicy response to Red Hat.
- Tailscale: Tailscale is the easiest way to create a peer-to-peer network with the power of Wireguard.
- Alby: Your Boost companion for the web — Help the show reach its 500K sat goal, and send your message to the show. Boost from the web with Alby.
- Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — You can boost from the web, top-up Alby, then head over to our entry on the Podcast Index :)
- Keep Linux Open and Free—We Can’t Afford Not To — Finally, to IBM, here’s a big idea for you. You say that you don’t want to pay all those RHEL developers? Here’s how you can save money: just pull from us. Become a downstream distributor of Oracle Linux. We will happily take on the burden.
- Traffic to OpenAI's ChatGPT fell almost 10% in June — Traffic to ChatGPT’s website fell by 9.7% over the month of June, according to preliminary estimates from Similarweb, a web analytics firm, released this week. The decline was even greater just in the U.S., with a 10.3% month-on-month decline. The number of unique visitors to ChatGPT also fell by 5.7% from the previous month.
- We’re Going Down A Very Dangerous Path With AI Regulation, Despite Better Options — Reading through the “SAFE Innovation Framework” is like a masterclass in the political game of making it sound like you’re saying something, while actually saying nothing at all:
- Chuck's MS Doc Exported to PDF SAFE Framework
- Katharina Koerner on Twitter — This article articulates the fear that with new AI regulations, big companies with the means to employ lawyers will dominate the AI market, and the more creative and innovative startups are shut out.
- Sarah Silverman is suing OpenAI and Meta for copyright infringement - The Verge — The lawsuits allege the companies trained their AI models on books without permission.
ai, ai research, almalinux, bots, centos, chat bot traffic, chatgpt, clones, coder radio, commission, developers, development podcast, engineers, ethics, framework, ibm, isvs, linux, openai, oracle linux, oracle's response, principles, privacy, red hat, regulation, rhel, rocky linux, sarah silverman, schumer