LAN 214: Linux Action News 214¶
- Air Date: 2021-11-07
- Duration: 17 mins 28 secs
About this episode¶
Significant changes at GitHub, Ubuntu starts work on a new desktop tool, why WirePlumber is a big deal, and we bust some Red Hat FUD.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Nat Friedman quits as CEO of GitHub — GitHub CEO Nat Friedman announced today he's leaving the organization on November 15 and will be replaced by chief product officer Thomas Dohmke.
- GitHub gets a new CEO
- Google Will Now Pay $31,337 To $50,337 For New Linux Kernel Vulnerabilities — Google is effectively tripling its previous reward amounts and promise to honor it for at least the next three months. They are hoping these $31,337 or $50,337 rewards will encourage more security researchers to explore the kernel and report their findings.
- Ubuntu is Building a New Firmware Updater App — This new GUI utility is being built using Flutter and Dart, further cementing Ubuntu’s commitment to go all in on Flutter for future desktop apps. The tool will be distributed as a Snap and provide a Ubuntu-style front-end to the fwupd tool and the Linux Vendor Firmware Service.
- Desktop Team Updates - Monday 1st November 2021 - Desktop / Team Updates
- Ubuntu Continues Work On Flutter+Dart Written Firmware-Updater Utility
- Asahi Linux Boots on M1 Pro — Linux on the M1 Pro status: boots to a shell with working USB ports Working: SMP, IRQs, IPIs, framebuffer console, DART, USB, USB-PD, I²C, GPIO. Next I'm looking at PCIe (WiFi & SD card reader).
- Apple M1 PCIe Driver Leads The PCI Changes For Linux 5.16
- WirePlumber in Fedora 35 — Today marks an exciting day as Fedora 35 has now been released, with WirePlumber as the default session manager for PipeWire!
- Master your PipeWire streams with WirePlumber | Linaro Virtual Connect Fall 2021
- LXQt 1.0.0 Desktop Environment Released After 8 Years of Development — The LXQt team proudly announced today the release and general availability of the LXQt 1.0.0 desktop environment as a major release bringing new features and improvements.
- LXQt 1.0 Released For Lightweight Qt5 Desktop
- Release 1.0.0 · lxqt/lxqt
- Red Hat to hire fewer senior engineers after budget frozen — Next year, IBM's Red Hat plans to cut back on hiring senior engineers in an effort largely aimed at controlling costs.
- Next year, IBM’s Red Hat plans to cut back on hiring senior engineers in an effort aimed largely at controlling costs. : linux
- The first fruits of CentOS Stream: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 Beta
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 Enters Beta with Exciting New Features and Many Improvements
.net, asahi, collabra, cramer, fedora 35, flutter, fwupd, george kiagiadakis, github, google bug bounty, hector martin, hot reload, ibm, julia liuson, jupiter broadcasting, kernel exploitation, linux action news, linux news podcast, linux vendor firmware service, lvfs, lxqt, m1 pro, matthew miller, microsoft, nat friedman, pipewire, rhel 9, thomas dohmke, timothy cramer, ubuntu firmware tool, weekly linux news, wireplumber