LAN 243: Linux Action News 243¶
- Air Date: 2022-06-02
- Duration: 17 mins 24 secs
About this episode¶
Our thoughts on NixOS' new GUI installer, winning hearts and minds one firmware update at a time, the performance bug that hit Linux 5.18, and preparation begins for the open-source NVIDIA driver.
- Jupiter Network Membership: Support the entire network, and get access to every member's special feed for every show on the network. Promo Code: thesignal
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- LVFS Has Served More Than 52 Million Firmware Files To Linux Users — LVFS has served up 52.1 million firmware files to end-users over its lifetime. There has also been over a 99% success rate on the firmware being deployed correctly to users.
- Fwupd 1.8.1 Released With Firmware Updating For More HP, Corsair, PixArt, Lenovo Devices
- A Fix Is On The Way For A Previously-Reported Linux 5.18 Performance Regression — Back during the Linux 5.18 merge window in March I wrote about a big NUMA benchmark performance regression I noticed and bisected.
- Nouveau Begins Shifting Around Code For Use By New Driver — "This just moves the codegen build into a separate library, this is just prep work for a future where another drivers wants to reuse this code. this isn't perfect for plugging into a vulkan driver, but doing that requires more in depth surgery."
- NVIDIA 515.48.07 Linux Driver Released As Stable With Open Kernel Driver Option
- Welcoming Rocket.Chat to Matrix! — We just wanted to take a moment to welcome Rocket.Chat to Matrix, given the recent announcement that they are switching to using Matrix for standards-based interoperable federation!
- Rocket.Chat Leverages The Matrix Protocol for Decentralized and Interoperable Communications
- AlmaLinux 9.0 Released — AlmaLinux OS 9.0 is based on upstream kernel version 5.14 and contains enhancements around cloud and container development and improvements to the web console.
- AlmaLinux 9 Now Available! - AlmaLinux OS Blog
- GPU Price-Performance Benchmarking Report
- NixOS 22.05 Released With New Graphical Installer — NixOS 22.05 builds atop the Nix 2.8 package manager, which brings better performance, general improvements, the experimental nix fmt command that applies a formatter defined by the flake output to the Nix expressions in a flake, and other additions.
- NixOS GUI Configuration Editor — A simple NixOS configuration editor application built with libadwaita, GTK4, and Relm4. The goal of this project is to provide a simple graphical tool for modifying and managing desktop NixOS configurations.
- NixOS - Blog → Announcements
- Calamares Installer — Calamares aims to be easy, usable, beautiful, pragmatic, inclusive and distribution-agnostic
- NixOS Calamares PR: fix calamares modules, add nixos modules, and add new iso by vlinkz
- NixOS/calamares-nixos-extensions: NixOS Calamares Extensions
almalinux 9.0, benchmarking, calamares, david airlie, decentralization, dendrite, embedded recipes 2022, federation, firmware, fwupd, hwardware, linux 5.18, linux action news, linux news podcast, lvfs, marcelo tosatti, matrix rocket.chat, mesa, michael larabel, nix, nixos 22.05, nixos-conf-editor, nouveau, nvidia, open source graphics drivers, phoronix, red hat, rhel 9, richard hughes, selinux, vlinkz