LUP 530: Leave the Pi in the Oven¶
- Air Date: 2023-10-01
- Duration: 68 mins 26 secs
About this episode¶
Why the Raspberry Pi 5 doesn't meet our expectations, and the x86 boxes you should consider instead.
- Tailscale: Tailscale is a Zero config VPN. It installs on any device in minutes, manages firewall rules for you, and works from anywhere. Get 20 devices for free for a personal account.
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- Kolide: Kolide is a device trust solution for companies with Okta, and they ensure that if a device isn’t trusted and secure, it can’t log into your cloud apps.
- 🎉 Alby — Boost into the show, first grab Alby, top it off, and then head over to the Podcast Index.
- ⚡️ LINUX Unplugged on the Podcastindex.org — You can boost from the web. Once Alby is topped off, visit our page on the Podcast Index.
- ESP32 board equipped with Ethernet and MicroSD card slot
- Introducing: Raspberry Pi 5! — Today, we’re delighted to announce the launch of Raspberry Pi 5, coming at the end of October. Priced at $60 for the 4GB variant, and $80 for its 8GB sibling.
- Raspberry Pi 5 Benchmarks — Significantly Better Performance, Improved I/O.
- Raspberry Pi 5 Graphics Continue With Open-Source Driver & Crazy Fast Compared To RPi 4
- Raspberry Pi 5 Review: A New Standard for Makers — The Raspberry Pi 5 is significantly faster than its predecessor while costing almost the same price. Its only drawback, which is likely temporary, is that some older HATs and add-ons may not have have software support right away.
- Raspberry Pi Approved Reseller – Raspberry Pi
- CPU decoding acording to Eben Upton in an interview
- Intel is killing off its NUC mini PCs
- HP ProDesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini PC
- HP ProDesk 600 G1 DM - Geekbench
- HP ProDesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini PC for sale | eBay
- Beelink U59 Mini PC 11th Gen 4-Cores N5105
- Beelink SER5 MAX with 8-Core AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, 32GB DDR4, 500GB NVMe
- Beelink Gaming Mini PC SER7 AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS pre-in W11 Pro,32GB DDR5,1TB SSD
- Beelink SER7 7840HS Mini-PC Review | TechPowerUp
- ODROID-H3 / H3+ — ameriDroid
- LinuxFest Northwest | Meetup
- Adopting Bitcoin OSS Track
- RealDudePerson/beakon — Beakon is designed to be a self-host location sharing webserver. Beakon aims to leak as little data as possible and uses mostly self-contained libraries and local database files.
- Meet the DEC VT Family
- RetroDECK — RetroDECK is a polished and beginner-friendly environment for playing your retro games on Steam Deck, available with just one click from the Discover app.
- Pick: Waycheck — Waycheck is a simple graphical application that connects to your Wayland compositor and displays the list of Wayland protocols that it supports, along with the list of protocols that it doesn't.
- Pick: Wayland or X11 GNOME Shell Extension
- How To Identify XWayland Applications on Wayland | DeviceTests
active cooling, adopting bitcoin, arm cortex-a76, atari vcs, bcm2712, beakon, beelink ser5 max, beelink ser7, beelink u59 mini pc, bitcoin oss track, ddr3, emmc, esp32 board, esp32-s3 module, gpio header, h.265, h264 hardware decoding, hat, hp prodesk 600 g1 desktop mini pc, imessage bridging, intel nuc mini pcs, jupiter broadcasting, lfnw meetups, linux podcast, linux unplugged, mipi transceivers, nvme ssds, odroid-h3, opensuse, owntracks recorder, pcie 2.0, raspberry pi 4, raspberry pi 5, real-time clock, sata ssd, t-eth-lite, vp9, wallabag, waycheck, wayland, x11, xeyes, xwayland