LUP 411: The Best of Both OSs¶
- Air Date: 2021-06-22
- Duration: 56 mins 45 secs
About this episode¶
Is it possible to have Arch’s best feature on other Linux distros? We attempt it and report our findings. Plus our reaction to NVIDIA’s beta Wayland support–is this the milestone we’ve been waiting for?
- Linode Cloud Hosting: A special offer for all Linux Unplugged Podcast listeners and new Linode customers, visit linode.com/unplugged, and receive $100 towards your new account.
- Core Contributor Membership: Use promo code summer - Support the show, and take $1 off the lifetime of your membership! Promo Code: Summer
- A Cloud Guru: By the end of this course, you will feel comfortable working with a large variety of networking tools and configurations to manage complex Linux networking implementations.
- Salt Lake City Meetup
- Denver Meetup
- Christian Schaller on Twitter — We been working closely with NVidia over the last year to prepare the ground for full NVidia driver Wayland support, including XWayland. Today NVidia released the first beta driver of that work.
- Xwayland support in Fedora with the NVIDIA 470 series driver — Please help us test this support for hardware acceleration with the NVIDIA proprietary driver in Xwayland, and report issues for Xwayland in Fedora bugzilla.
- NVIDIA DRIVERS Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver BETA
- Fedora Cloud Btrfs By Default - Fedora Project Wiki — For cloud installs of Fedora, we want to provide advanced file system features to users in a transparent fashion. Thus, we are changing the file system for the Cloud Edition to Btrfs so we can leverage its features and capabilities to improve the quality of experience for Cloud users.
- Pagure Commit: Use Btrfs for Fedora Cloud Edition
- Pacstall — The AUR for Ubuntu
- pacstall on GitHub
- Henryws on GitHub
- makedeb — Create Debian archives from PKGBUILDs.
- mpm — makedeb package manager
- junest — The lightweight Arch Linux based distro that runs upon any Linux distros without root access.
- x11docker — Run GUI applications and desktops in docker. Focus on security.
- How to Run GUI Applications in a Docker Container
- jessfraz/dockerfiles — Various Dockerfiles I use on the desktop and on servers.
- Nix, the purely functional package manager
- pacapt — An ArchLinux’s pacman-like wrapper for many package managers.
- Can I make use of other containers like debian or arch - Desktop / Silverblue - Fedora Discussion
- Martin Pitt's Blog — Public lightweight sway developer desktop with OSTree and podman/toolbox.
- Fedora 34 Toolbox Containerfile
- Running Wine in Archlinux-based podman container
amd, apt, arch, arch linux, arch server, aur, btrfs, centos, containers, docker, dpkg, egl, fedora cloud, flatpak, junest, jupiter broadcasting, linux apps, linux podcast, linux unplugged, makedeb, mpm, nvidia, oci, pacapt, pacman, pacstall, podman, red hat, rocky linux, ryzen, security, toolbox, ubuntu, wayland, x11docker, xwayland