CR 489: Luther Curious¶
- Air Date: 2022-10-26
- Duration: 63 mins 48 secs
About this episode¶
One of the most challenging aspects of being an independent developer, and our thoughts on Microsoft's recent bad news.
- Tailscale: Tailscale is the easiest way to create a peer-to-peer network with the power of Wireguard.
- Linode: Receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account. Promo Code: linode.com/coder
- Michael Dominick on Twitter — Been offline but meet the Dominicks!
- Man Fined $500 for Crime of Writing 'I Am An Engineer' — An electronics engineer says he found a flaw in traffic lights. The Oregon engineering board fined him for it.
- 7 Estimation Anti-Patterns — Here are 7 estimation anti-patterns and also how you could fix them. Fair warning: in most cases, there are no easy answers.
- Microsoft employees are the latest casualties amid the tech world's layoffs trend — Precisely how many people are being put out of work is unclear. Axios’s source said the newly unemployed will number "under 1,000," which is an odd phrasing, since it could mean just about anything, but it’s pretty clear that the total is significant.
- Brad Sams on Twitter — I get that companies have to make priorities and cuts happen but when that same company is trying to spend $70b on an acquisition…it feels odd
- Mark Zuckerberg has a $10 billion plan to make it impossible for remote workers to hide from their bosses — But some experts are wary of a full-scale pivot to the metaverse. “We would have to carefully attend to the physical implications of headsets,” Roshni Raveendhran, assistant professor at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, told Fortune last year. “Like if it harms our eyesight or implicates our brain functions; we don’t know any of these things now, and we won’t know until there’s more of a continual usage pattern. We need to pay attention to some of those before we go into full-scale adoption.”
- Mark Zuckerberg Should Make Facebook 'Facebook' Again — The Meta CEO should prioritize growing engagement and revenue on the company's core apps.
- he Wire retracts two recent stories about Meta's XCheck — Earlier this week, The Wire announced its decision to conduct an internal review of its recent coverage of Meta, especially the sources and materials involved in our reporting.
- Send in a Boost — Upgrade to a Podcasting 2.0 compatible app, send a Boost and get new features.
antipatters, coder radio, development podcast, electronics engineer, engineers, java, layoffs, mats järlström, meta, microsoft, oregon engineering board, oregon state board of examiners, rates, resume, software engineer, software estimates, traffic camera, xcheck, xcode, zuck season, zuckerberg