LAN 175: Linux Action News 175¶
- Air Date: 2021-02-06
- Duration: 22 mins 35 secs
About this episode¶
The story behind a Microsoft repo shipping in Raspberry Pi OS, Canonical updates a special version of Ubuntu, and a couple of milestones the Linux world hit this week.
- Linode: Sign up using the link on this page and receive a $100 60-day credit towards your new account.
- Ting: Save $25 off your first device, or $25 in service credit if you bring one!
- Raspberry Pi Users Mortified As Microsoft Repository That Phones Home Is Added To Pi OS — The latest update installs a Microsoft apt repository on any machine running Raspberry Pi OS, and does it without admin consent.
- Microsoft repo secretly installed on all Raspberry Pi’s Linux OS
- Microsoft repo installed on all Raspberry Pi’s
- Eben Upton on Twitter — I can’t understand why you think this was a controversial thing to do. We do things of this sort all the time without putting out a blog post about how to opt out.
- Ubuntu Core 20 Released For IoT/Embedded Linux Use-Cases — Ubuntu Core 20 is offered for x86_64 and ARM hardware and is backed by Canonical with ten years of support.
- Containerize all the things with Ubuntu Core 20
- Ubuntu Core
- How to Deploy Guacamole with Marketplace Apps
- Donating Docker Distribution to the CNCF — To make the project clearly an industry wide collaboration, hosting it in the CNCF was the obvious place, as it is the home of many successful collaborative projects, such as Kubernetes and Containerd.
- Distribution — The toolkit to pack, ship, store, and deliver container content.
- AlmaLinux, the CentOS Linux replacement, beta is out — AlmaLinux, the open-source enterprise-level Linux distribution created as an alternative to CentOS, has been released in beta with most Red Hat Enterprise Linux packages.
- Google funds project to secure Apache web server with new Rust component — The module will be based on Rustls; a Rust open-source library developed as an alternative to the C-based OpenSSL project.
- LKML: Hector Martin: [PATCH 00/18] Apple M1 SoC platform bring-up — This series brings up initial support for the Apple M1 SoC, used in the 2020 Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air models.
- Hector Martin's Development Streams
almalinux beta, apache rust, centos, cloud native computing foundation, container registry, docker distribution, docker hub backend, eben upton, encryption, github, gpg key, guacamole, harbor, hector martin, internet security research group, linux action news, linux news podcast, lts, memory safe, microsoft repository, mod_tls, openssl, raspberry pi os, raspbian, rust, rustls, security, snap packages, snapcraft, ssl, stack overflow developer survey, tiobe index, tls, ubuntu core 20, vs code